Wednesday, February 17, 2016

Costa Rica 2016 - Laguna Lodge, Tortuguero - February 15-17

Exploring the river ways in Tortuguero National Park

Three Days in Tortuguero National Park at Laguna Lodge

We are back at Charlie's home in Atenas after a most enjoyable and adventurous visit to Tortuguero National Park along the Caribbean Sea on Costa Rica's northeast shore.  Our guide Robert says this is the only Amazon like area in Costa Rica.  Monday we traveled by motor coach about 3 hours over the mountains to connect to a boat for a 1 and one-half hour boat trip up the Tortuguero River to Laguna Lodge.  We visited a village and then spend several hours boating on the river to see all types of wild life including birds and monkeys.  The lodge was very nice and served very good food.  Our guide was a very personal and informative young man, Robert, who began with us in San Jose and stayed with us through our stay taking care of all our transportation, lodging registration, guiding the village tour, boat tours, garden tour, and frog hunt.  He was around and visible throughout our time at the lodge and then returned with us to San Jose via the boat and bus.  You will note he is in several of the photos below.  Our group of 20+ people were from Costa Rica, USA, Canada, Europe and other places.  All were friendly and Charlie and I got to know them more as we ate all our very good meals together at the lodge and did the village and boat tours together.  One family from Manhattan in New York City had a young daughter and fourth grade son,  After eating with the family several times and showing interest in Colin, he and I became friends.  You will see photos of Colin and his family below.  Charlie and I got back to his home in Atenas about 4:30 PM and we are happy to be back here.  I'm looking forward to five more days here with Charlie before I fly back home to Nashville Tuesday, February 23.

Since it's late Wednesday night and the selected photos added up to twice as many as I usually post please excuse that I omit the captions.  Just know that these photos are only very few of the many photos I took over three days.  Enjoy the photos.  Remember you can click on the photos to see a larger size of each of the photos.

We first met our guide Robert on the bus leaving San Jose


Now departing on the boat for 1.5 hour boat ride to Laguna Lodge






Reception at Laguna Lodge

Our dining room at Laguna Lodge

Great food







Charlie and my room at Laguna Lodge

Caught Charlie in the hammock

This dog wanted some of my ice cream cone

Guide Robert took this photo for me at the village



Path to our room at Laguna Lodge

























This fine fellow was lounging right behind were I was sitting to use WiFi






This  is my new friend, Colin



Dad Milo, Colin, and I(Reagan) on the boat coming back on Wednesday




Dad Milo, Colin and mom and sister


Traveled through rain and fog over the mountains back to San Jose


Downtown area of San Jose

Back to Charlie's terrace and this fantastic view

Flowers blossoming in Charlie's garden


Hope you enjoyed these photos. I took many more I will post to my photo galleries after returning home to Nashville next week.


Costa Rica is Pura Vida



My Next 2016 TRAVEL PLANS


Spring Amtrak Rail Adventure March 27-April 13 - Flying to New Orleans, LA, to travel via Amtrak's City of New Orleans and Empire Builder to Seattle, WA. After a week in Seattle, I will return to New Orleans via Amtrak's Coast Starlight(Sacramento), California Zephyr(Chicago) and City of New Orleans. Return trip is compliments of Amtrak Guest Rewards points I have been earning from all my Amtrak travels for the last few years.

Via Rail and Amtrak Trip to Canada and Albany, NY, May 28 to June 15 - Traveling by Via Rail in Canada to Toronto, Montreal and Halifax, Nova Scotia.  Returning to USA via Amtrak for visits to Albany, NY and New Orleans, LA.




You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. Also, click on the "blog title" at the top to view this blog on the web.

All my photos are available to view on Reagan's Photo Galleries website.


************************************

EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS --  CLICK HERE to sign up your email
to receive each new blog post to in your email inbox.