Friday, May 22, 2015

Seven Days in New Orleans - Down By the Riverside

Paddlewheel Steamboat Natchez

Seven Days in New Orleans - Down By the Riverside - I've been humming a song "Down By The Riverside" today(Friday).  And that is what I did.  Hung out "down by the riverside."  First, just outside my hotel at the foot of Canal Street is the Canal Street to Algiers Ferry so I went for a ferry ride to begin my day.  After returning to the ferry port, I took a very pleasant and relaxing stroll along the Mississippi River promenade.  New Orleans has created some nice gardens and green spaces along the riverbank.  As I was walking, the steamboat Natchez began playing the Calliope concert.  If you are in New Orleans the Natchez does Calliope concerts three times a day -- 10:45am, 1:45pm, and 5:30pm.  I could listen to these concerts everyday.  I hung around the dockside until the Natchez departed on its 11:30am cruise.  From there I headed inland to walk in the French Quarter stopping by an old favorite shop Creole Delicacies on St. Ann Street to purchase chewy pralines for my sisters.  Now I have to "hide" the pralines until I get together with my sisters in West Tennessee mid June.  I returned to Canal Street by way of Bourbon Street midday--not a place for me even at that time of day.  A little rest in my room and early dinner at Riverwalk completed the day for me.  No idea what I'll do the next couple of days.  That's the fun of just being here. Somewhere there needs to be a lazy day.

Here are some selected photos from my Friday adventure.

Releasing the Natchez as it departs for midday cruise

Riverfront Streetcars meet at Hilton Hotel and Canal St.

Riverwalk Shopping Outlets from Ferry

That my hotel in the middle.

Cathedral in French Quarter from Ferry

Reboarding the Ferry in Algiers

Another Steamboat the Creole Queen

View from Ferry

Louisiana State Flag - Union, Justice, Confidence
New Orleans celebrates Mardi Gras

Mural in Ferry Building


Riverfront Streetcar

Greenery along the Mississippi riverfront

Lots of art for sale

Creole Delicatessens 

Chewy Pralines -- One for me and a box of 18 for my sisters

Impromptu jazz band

Typical French Quarter architect 

Another interesting French Quarter balcony

Royal Street street sign

Voodoo shop

If you get this in your email inbox, you will receive two separate blog update emails covering Thursday at Audubon Zoo and today Friday "down by the riverside".  Picture taking should slow down the last days in New Orleans so I will plan to do remaining blog updates from New Orleans on Sunday night and Tuesday night.  



You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. Also, click on the "blog title" at the top to view this blog on the web.

All my photos are available to view on Reagan's Photo Galleries website.


************************************

EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS --  CLICK HERE to sign up your email
to receive each new blog post to in your email inbox.