Saturday, June 11, 2016

Via Rail and Amtrak Trip June 2016 - Poughkeepsie, NY, Saturday, June 11

Me, Reagan, way up high on the longest river crossing pedestrian bridge in the world
\
Poughkeepsie ICE HOUSE where I ate late lunch

Longest pedestrian bridge in world over the Hudson River - Use to be a railroad trestle - Note the American flag at the half way point crossing the river

This is the same flag in the above photo.  I made it to the flag walking on the pedestrian bridge

Information Sign about this being the longest river crossing pedestrian bridge when it opened in 2009

Okay, so today is five photos. It's too hard to tell the story of my day trip to Poughkeepsie, NY, today with just one photo. I really did not know what to expect when I decided to go a little over an hour south of Albany to visit Poughkeepsie. The reason I chose Poughkeepsie was all the mail I received through the years from Reader's Digest postmarked Poughkeepsie. The day started out with threat of scattered thunderstorms some possibly severe. Well it did rain here in Albany around 11 AM but after that the clouds parted and as you can see from the photos, the sun shined brightly on Poughkeepsie. I thoroughly enjoyed visiting the Poughkeepsie waterfront with nice walking paths and the longest pedestrian bridge crossing a river in the world. An old railroad trestle was converted to the pedestrian bridge in 2009. The Ice House Building photo is the restaurant right on the river where I ate a late lunch of crab cakes and French onion soup. 

For my nephew Mark O. in Shreveport, a couple I rode on the elevator to the top to the pedestrian bridge told me they were from Longview, TX. I had to tell them my nephew once was the city engineer for Longview and also show them my Owen Engineering jacket.  

Tomorrow being Sunday, I plan to spend the day near the hotel and at some point worship again via the internet with First Baptist Church, Nashville.  I understand my church Forest Hills Baptist is possibly streaming our worship services but, so far, I have been unsuccessful finding it on line since there does not seem to be a clear URL address. May walk later in the day to the Hudson River front near my hotel.

Monday is departure day again - this time on Amtrak's Lake Shore Limited to Chicago and on to New Orleans via Amtrak's City of New Orleans.  



You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. 

All my photos are available to view on Reagan's Photo Galleries website.


************************************


EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS --  CLICK HERE to sign up your email
to receive each new blog post to in your email inbox.