Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Spring 2016 Amtrak Rail Adventure - Monorail, Space Needle and Light Rail April 5

That's me up at the top to the Space Needle in Seattle

Monorail, Space Needle and Light Rail

It's a windy cloudy cool day in Seattle with temperatures in the 50's so that is just a tad too cool for this cold natured Southerner. Still, I headed uptown on the Rapid Ride bus to Westlake Center to ride the Monorail to Seattle Center. There I visited the observation deck of the Space Needle over 500 feet above the ground - that 50 stories.  With the wind at the higher elevation it was uncomfortable for me.  Thankfully, most of the deck is indoors with a narrow outdoor walkway around the full circle of the deck.  Yes, I did both but was very fast circling the outdoor deck.  What I do to take photos for you all.

After my visit to the Space Needle observation deck I got lunch in the Armory at Seattle Center.  This is basically a large indoor food court.  I got pizza for lunch and then headed back on the Monorail to Westlake Center.  Since I have not ridden the light rail, I decided to take a ride all the way to Seattle's SeaTac International Airport and then back to my hotel.  Since warmer weather is promised for tomorrow, I decided to stay in again today after returning to my room around 3:30 PM.  

Here are selected photos of my activities today.


Entrance to Monorail at Westlake Center
Boarding the Monorail at Westlake Center

Monorail tracks 

Arrived Seattle Center

Monorail in the Seattle Center Station

Space Needle at Seattle Center

View of Seattle Waterfront from Space Needle Observation Deck

Pudget Sound 

Monorail below from Observation Deck - I did use zoom to make it closer than it

Lake Union

Pudget Sound

Outdoor Observation Deck on the Space Needle

My Lunch Pizza

My Lunch Pizza

Light Rail to SeaTac(Seattle Tacoma) Airport

Light Rail 

Light Rail

One more full day in Seattle.  Thursday I depart 9:30 AM on Amtrak's Coast Starlight to Sacramento to connect with the California Zephyr on to Chicago and a final connection the the City of New Orleans expected arrival Monday afternoon April 11.



My Next 2016 TRAVEL PLANS


Louisiana Trip Home - May 8-14

Louisiana home is calling so I'll head that way after Forest Hills Baptist Sunday School and worship on May 8 to visit sisters and brother-in-law hopefully recovering from open heart surgery scheduled for Monday, April 11.  And need to visit and tour my great niece Cheri's new home she had built and is moving into mid April.


Via Rail and Amtrak Trip to Canada and Albany, NY, May 28 to June 15 - Traveling by Via Rail in Canada to Toronto, Montreal and Halifax, Nova Scotia.  Returning to USA via Amtrak for visits to Albany, NY and New Orleans, LA.


Yep, that's all I have officially planned for this calendar year.  Other trips will surely be planned.



You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. Also, click on the "blog title" at the very top of email to view this blog on the web.

All my photos are available to view on Reagan's Photo Galleries website.


************************************

EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS --  CLICK HERE to sign up your email
to receive each new blog post to in your email inbox.