Sunday, January 25, 2015

A Successful Winter Rail Journey on Amtrak's California Zephyr and City of New Orleans


I'm On Board and Ready to Travel 

Four Days on A Train --  For me, traveling across this great country from Northern California through Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Illinois, Tennessee, Mississippi and Louisiana in four days is fun, educational, and inspirational.  Sharing close quarters and eating three meals a day with Australians, British, and Americans from all over our country was uplifting to me.  If only for a brief time, new friends are made and we share conversations that reveal we are very similar in our values and relationships.  Of course, the highlight for me was traveling through so much snow cover in the Colorado Rockies  Yes, I took photos.  Way too many but I will have them up on Reagan's Photo Galleries in a couple weeks.  Interestingly, the California Zephyr was ahead of schedule all the way from California to Chicago so we got more dwell time at most of the station stops since the train cannot leave a station until the scheduled departure time.  After about six hours in Chicago most the time spent in the sleeping car passengers' Metropolitan Lounge I boarded the City of New Orleans for a 8 PM departure from Chicago Saturday night.  Today our train had to follow a couple very slow Canadian National freight trains.  Canadian National now owns the former Illinois Central rail tracks on which the City of New Orleans travels.  Thanks to padding schedules we were only one hour late arriving New Orleans at 4 PM.  A short cab ride shared with a couple from England brought me to the Hilton Riverside Hotel right on the Mississippi River.  As I entered my room a large Norwegian Cruise Line ship was just outside my room window departing on a cruise in the Caribbean Ocean.

View of the mighty Mississippi from my Hilton Riverside Hotel room


I'm planning on a leisurely day Monday and Tuesday morning before my Southwest Airlines flight departs at 3 PM Tuesday to take me home to Nashville.  I will be looking forward to returning to New Orleans in May for a full week stay here at the Hilton Riverside Hotel.

I'll add all the photos for this rail trip to my photo galleries soon and will post a blog update with "links" to all the new galleries.  For now here are a few photos from my four day adventure.  These are small photos..  You can click on the photos for a much larger view of the photo.

Sierra Nevada's California


Sierra Nevada's California


Amtrak's California Zephyr


Sierra Nevada's


Sierra Nevada's


Sierra Nevada's


Sierra Nevada's 


Meeting the West Bound California Zephyr near Glenwood Springs, CO


Colorado Rockies Snow Cover-Impressive!


Colorado Rockies Snow


Amtrak Assistant Conductor at Fraser, Colorado


My Sleeping Car Attendant Tony in Denver Union Station


California Zephyr Engine 202 In Chicago's Union Station


Amtrak's City of New Orleans at Greenwood, MS

South Louisiana near New Orleans 

EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS -- Be sure to sign up for email updates by submitting your email address in the "Follow by Email" sign up box in the top right sidebar where it says, "Follow by Email - Submit Your Email to Receive Email Updatesor CLICK HERE to sign up now.