Monday, January 4, 2016

Amtrak Winter Adventure January 2016 - Preview

View from Amtrak's California Zephyr in Glenwood Canyon Colorado

Previewing my January 2016 Amtrak Adventure on the City of New Orleans and California Zephyr

  
In just one week I'll board Amtrak's City of New Orleans ready for a 1:45 PM departure Tuesday, January 12, for an overnight trip to Chicago.  In Chicago on Wednesday, I'll board Amtrak's California Zephyr for a 2 PM departure for a three day, two night trip through Denver and Salt Lake City to Emeryville, CA(San Francisco).  

Here are a few details;
  • Sunday, January 10 - Fly Southwest Airlines Nashville to New Orleans for two nights at the Hilton Riverside Hotel.  Monday is free day in New Orleans.
  • Tuesday, January 12 - Amtrak's City of New Orleans. 
  • Wednesday, January 13 - Arrive Chicago in AM. Board Amtrak's California Zephyr for 2 PM departure.
  • Thursday, January 14 - On board Amtrak's California Zephyr traveling across Colorado and Utah.
  • Friday, January 15 - On board Amtrak's California Zephyr traveling across Nevada and California arriving Emeryville, CA, early evening.  Check-in Hyatt House Hotel for two nights.
  • Saturday, January 16 - One day adventure traveling Amtrak California's trains to and from San Jose, CA.  Plan is to seek out the Old Spaghetti Factory in San Jose for lunch before returning to Emeryville.
  • Sunday, January 17 - Fly American Airlines San Francisco to Nashville.  
Using my laptop while in hotels overnight and my IPhone on the trains, I plan to make daily updates so that you can follow along with me as I travel.

This is the same Amtrak trip that I did this past January 2015 except I did that trip in reverse flying to California and riding the California Zephyr from Emeryville to Chicago and the City of New Orleans from Chicago to New Orleans.  My 2016 goal is to see more snow.

All of my 2015 photos can be found here:  


Here are some of my favorite photos from that trip:

Me(Reagan) in my Roomette on California Zephyr

In Station at Sacramento, CA

California Zephyr Engines at Grand Junction, CO

We met this West Bound California Zephyr in Colorado

Traveling Along the Colorado River

Colorodo Mountains

We traveled along Union Pacific rails and met UP freights

Approaching a short tunnel 

In Station at Glenwood Springs, CO

Along the Colorado River in Colorado

Lonely pony in Colorado

Snowy Colorado

More Colorado Mountains

More Colorado Mountains

Friendly Assistant Conductor in Fraser, Colorado

In Station at Denver's new Union Station

Thanks for subscribing to receive my travel updates in your email inbox.  I looking forward to communicating with you while I travel on this first 2016 adventure.  If you know of others who would like to read these updates please forward your email update to them and encourage them to subscribe using the link at the end of this email or the link on the blog front page.



My Next 2016 TRAVEL PLANS

Costa Rica February 9-23 - I will be visiting my friend Charlie Doggett who moved to Costa Rica in December 2014.  Charlie lives in Atenas, Costa Rica, and I am hoping he emerges me into his Costa Rica lifestyle.  He has been planning for my time in Costa Rica for many months and I am so looking forward to being with and visiting him.

Spring Amtrak Rail Adventure March 27-April 13 - Flying to New Orleans, LA, to travel via Amtrak's City of New Orleans and Empire Builder to Seattle, WA. After a week in Seattle, I will return to New Orleans via Amtrak's Coast Starlight(Sacramento), California Zephyr(Chicago) and City of New Orleans. Return trip is compliments of Amtrak Guest Rewards points I have been earning from all my Amtrak travels for the last few years.

Via Rail and Amtrak Trip to Canada and Albany, NY, May 28 to June 15 - Traveling by Via Rail in Canada to Toronto, Montreal and Halifax, Nova Scotia.  Returning to USA via Amtrak for visits to Albany, NY and New Orleans, LA.




You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. Also, click on the "blog title" at the top to view this blog on the web.

All my photos are available to view on Reagan's Photo Galleries website.


************************************

EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS --  CLICK HERE to sign up your email
to receive each new blog post to in your email inbox.