Sunday, January 10, 2016

Tribute to a Great Woman and My Adopted Tennessee Mom - Ruth Bradley

Ruth Bradley - My Adopted Tennessee Mom

Tribute to a Great Woman and My Adopted Tennessee Mom - Ruth Bradley

Friends and Readers of My Travel Blog, my heart is broken and I am grieving the loss of a dear friend and adopted Tennessee Mom tonight.  I am a native Louisianian and have  two loving blood related sisters and extended family that still live in Northwest Louisiana.  In 1966, after completing an auditor training program with the now Federal Highway Administration, I was assigned to the State of Tennessee to work.  That 25 year old young man with no blood relatives in Tennessee still lives in Nashville, TN, and reached the happy senior adult year of 74 in October 2015.  Tennessee is home because a wonderful Bradley family adopted me as part of their family and are my dearest friends today.  After I had completed packing for my Amtrak Winter Adventure, Russ Bradley called to let me know his mom, Ruth Bradley, had passed away.  That's her in the photo above several years ago and that is how I choose to remember her.  Before I begin the blog updates from my Amtrak Winter Adventure, I want to share with you the email I sent to my Louisiana family(most had met Ruth and the Bradley family and knew of my family relationship with the Bradley's) and other close personal friends. This is my way of honoring this great lady.  Here is the email and a couple photos with Ruth and the family from several years ago.



"A dear friend and amazing Christian daughter, wife, mother, grandmother, and great grandmother and my adopted Tennessee mom Ruth Bradley has completed her earthly life and joins her parents and husband Martin in Heaven.  Son Russ just called me to let me know she passed away around 5:45 PM tonight.  My heart is broken but I celebrate Ruth's victory over the grave.  

Ruth has been a close and dear friend and confidant since 1967 when I moved to Nashville and taught her oldest son Kerry in 5th grade Sunday School at First Baptist Church/Nashville.  Honestly, from that time Ruth and Martin Bradley invited me not only into their home but also into their family and hearts. What a blessing in my life she and the Bradley family have been for over 48 years.  All three children, Martia, Kerry, and Russ remain my dearest friends today and Russ honored me being one of the first he called tonight.  

I grieve that I will not be here in Nashville this week to be with Russ, Martia and Kerry as they mourn and lay their mother along side her husband Martin. To be totally honest, Russ is my closest friend and confidant.  When I return home to Nashville after being away this week, it will be my honor and privilege to be with the Bradley family and share a special time of remembrance and love. 

Russ, Martia, and Kerry, I love you very, very much.  

Reagan 
Proverbs 3:5-6"


Laura, Kerry, Ruth, Amanda and Martia Bradley
Russ Bradley

Of course these photos are several years old.  Ruth was in her eighties.  My time relating to this great family exceeds 48 years.  Russ and Kerry are now in their fifties.

Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow