Monday, January 11, 2016

Amtrak Winter Adventure Monday, January 11, 2016

Almost Mardi Gras Season in New Orleans

  
One Day in New Orleans -  A good one day in New Orleans.  I chose to ride streetcars, visit the Garden District along St.Charles Ave., and visit the Amtrak Station to see off Monday's City of New Orleans.  I observed that New Orleans is getting ready for Mardi Gras season.  Some of the houses along St. Charles Ave. have banners and other decoration similar to the photo above.  I rode the St, Charles Streetcar out into the Garden District and then took a nice walk for a few blocks to photographs some to the decorated homes.  I walked by the Hilton Garden Inn on Gravier Street where I will stay when I am here for a couple days in April and they had a nice Mardi Gras Tree in the lobby.  I stopped by the Amtrak Station a couple times today and was there to watch today's City of New Orleans depart.  I am always excited and looking forward to boarding that same train tomorrow departing New Orleans 1:45 PM.  To end my day in New Orleans I visited the River Walk location of the Cafe Du Monde for biegnets and coffee. Now back in my room for the evening.  Here are photos of my day in New Orleans:
  
  
Down by the Riverside -- Bird photo for my friend Charlie in Costa Rica

Riding the Streetcars - Always a must in New Orleans - $3 for All Day

New Orleans Amtrak Station

Mardi Gras Tree in the Hilton Garden Inn Lobby

Decorated Mansion on St. Charles Ave.

Decorated Mansion on St. Charles Ave.

Decorated Mansions on St. Charles Ave.

St. Charles Ave Streetcar

Decorated Mansion on St. Charles Ave.

Where I walked along St Charles Ave.

St Charles Ave Streetcar coming to pick me up

St. Charles Ave.Streetcar I just exited

Cheap Gas In Downtown New Orleans

Monday's City of New Orleans in Station
r
There She Goes - City Of  New Orleans departing
 rle
Back in my room by the might Mississippi River

Beignets and Latte is always a must when in New Orleans

Beignets and Latte is always a must when in New Orleans

Ready to enjoy my beignets
  
  Tonight's update is the last "laptop" generated update until Friday night after I arrive in Emeryville, CA,.  Looking forward to departing on the City of New Orleans tomorrow afternoon bound for Chicago. Tomorrow morning is "repacking" for the train day.  I'll check my large bag all the way to Emeryville and only carry on my small bag with things I need while traveling on the train.  While traveling  Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday I hope to take a couple photos with my IPhone and do a short IPhone generated update similar to what I did while traveling home to north Louisiana for Christmas.  Looking forward to a quick "hello" visit with my friend Maurice when the California Zephyr stops briefly in Galesburg, IL, Wednesday afternoon.  Maurice runs the railroad museum there at the Galesburg station.  I enjoyed visiting him and the museum last April.
  
  
  
My Next 2016 TRAVEL PLANS

Costa Rica February 9-23 - I will be visiting my friend Charlie Doggett who moved to Costa Rica in December 2014.  Charlie lives in Atenas, Costa Rica, and I am hoping he emerges me into his Costa Rica lifestyle.  He has been planning for my time in Costa Rica for many months and I am so looking forward to being with and visiting him.

Spring Amtrak Rail Adventure March 27-April 13 - Flying to New Orleans, LA, to travel via Amtrak's City of New Orleans and Empire Builder to Seattle, WA. After a week in Seattle, I will return to New Orleans via Amtrak's Coast Starlight(Sacramento), California Zephyr(Chicago) and City of New Orleans. Return trip is compliments of Amtrak Guest Rewards points I have been earning from all my Amtrak travels for the last few years.

Via Rail and Amtrak Trip to Canada and Albany, NY, May 28 to June 15 - Traveling by Via Rail in Canada to Toronto, Montreal and Halifax, Nova Scotia.  Returning to USA via Amtrak for visits to Albany, NY and New Orleans, LA.




You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. Also, click on the "blog title" at the top to view this blog on the web.

All my photos are available to view on Reagan's Photo Galleries website.


************************************

EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS --  CLICK HERE to sign up your email
to receive each new blog post to in your email inbox.