Monday, May 9, 2016

Louisiana Trip to Visit Family - May 8-14

Dinner with Todd Young Family

Louisiana Trip to Visit Family

Friends and blog readers, just a short update to let you know I have traveled from Nashville to visit family in the Shreveport/Bossier City area in Louisiana. Since this is a time to visit with family, I don't really plan to take photos while here.  My brother-in-law Bobby had five bypass heart surgery April 11 and except for a short five day return to home, he returned to the hospital for intravenous antibiotic treatment for infections in his leg Monday, May 2.  As I arrived here today, my sister told us that the doctor had visited this morning and told Bobby he needs at least another week of intravenous antibiotic treatment.  For insurance reasons he will have to move to a assisted skilled nursing facility to continue the treatments.  Your prayers are appreciated for Bobby as well as his wife, my sister.

In addition to doing family things, I will be visiting with my great niece Cheri in her new home Thursday for another home cooked meal and spending time with her and her boyfriend.

After arriving here in Shreveport this afternoon, I met my long time dear friend Todd Young and his family for dinner at Outback Steakhouse.  That is the Young family and me in the lead photo above.  I have known Todd since he was a seventh grader and had the privilege to be his Bible study teacher when he was a tenth grader and life long friend, spiritual leader, and encourager.  And he has been all three of those to me.  Two years ago Todd and his family moved to Shreveport from Nashville to be an educational minister at Summer Grove Baptist Church in Shreveport.  Every time we get together is a time of happiness and blessings.  Except this time, Todd had the great idea that I could let him buy me an airplane ticket home to Nashville and leave my 2003 Honda here for his 16 year old daughter Sadie.  Not such a good deal for this soon to be 75 year old who doesn't plan to buy another car in my lifetime. Hopefully, he was just kidding.

Here are two more Iphone photos with Todd and his family tonight.

Sadie, Macy and I(Reagan)

Sadie, Amy, Macy, Reagan, Todd


I will be here in Shreveport/Bossier City until Friday and will begin the drive home to Nashville Friday.  Planning to drive home via Meridian, MS, where I will stay Friday night.  I came through Memphis and Little Rock unaware of the massive interchange construction project where I-40 comes into Memphis and encounters I-240 and I-40 West.  It will be a long time before I drive through Memphis again.  I will arrive home via Birmingham in I-65 Saturday.

Personally, your concern and prayers for me are appreciated.  I was diagnosed type 2 diabetes when I was 61.  Until this past Tuesday, I was able to control my diabetes with oral medication.  That day I began taking insulin via Lantus Solostar Pen at bedtime.  Fortunately, injecting the insulin has been mostly painless.  There have been some effects as my body adjusts to taking the insulin while stopping an oral medication I took for almost two years.  And I confess anxiety plays a part in my adjusting. 

Look for my next update from Toronto, Canada, Saturday, May 28, as I begin my Via Rail and Amtrak train trips in Eastern Canada and Northeastern USA.



My Next 2016 TRAVEL PLANS

 Via Rail and Amtrak Trip to Canada and Albany, NY, May 28 to June 15

 Traveling by Via Rail in Canada to Toronto, Montreal and Halifax, Nova Scotia.  Returning to USA via Amtrak for visits to Albany, NY and New Orleans, LA.





You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. Also, click on the "blog title" at the very top of email to view this blog on the web.

All my photos are available to view on Reagan's Photo Galleries website.


************************************

EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS --  CLICK HERE to sign up your email
to receive each new blog post to in your email inbox.