Monday, May 30, 2016

Via Rail Canada Trip June 2016 - Arrived Halifax, NS, Monday May 30

Arrival in Halifax, NS, on Via Rail's Ocean train
Seems like a week but I only left Toronto yesterday 11:30 AM on Via Rail's Train 64 to Montreal. We started late and arrived Montreal 45 minutes late 5:30 PM.  So did not spend any time in Montreal as we lined up to check in at 6 PM and then were told the Ocean was ready to board.  Travel on Via Rail's Ocean was enjoyable although we rode through rain all day long. Thankfully the sky's have cleared and next few days in Halifax are to be dry.  That's my train above in the photo. I was in the last sleeper car so had to walk through six sleepers to get to the sleeper lounge and dining car.  Good exercise. In Halifax, after deboarding we had to walk the full length of the train including three engines to reach the Via Rail waiting room. I met and visited with a lot of very nice people on the train from the Nederlands to Southern California.

After arrival I retrieved my checked bag and then found taxi quickly and was in my hotel The Hollis, a Doubletree Hilton Hotel shortly after arrival in Halifax. Thanks to Hilton Honors e-check in I had already checked in and selected my room on the top floor overlooking the Halifax waterfront - a fantastic view. After taking a walk along the waterfront, I am back in the room tired and ready for a night of restful sleep. I am in the Atlantic time zone or 2 hours ahead of my home Central Time.

Staying four nights in Halifax, so I will be out exploring and discovering this new exciting destination for me. Next four updates will include photos from Halifax.