Friday, February 14, 2020

Amtrak Winter Trip 2020 Preview

Amtrak's California Zephyr

Amtrak Winter Trip 2020 - February 21 to March 7

One week from today, I fly Southwest Airlines from Nashville to Chicago to begin my Winter Amtrak trip. I depart from Nashville International Airport which hosted over 18 million passengers in 2019.


Nashville International Airport


Upon arrival in Chicago, I will stay at TheWit Doubletree Hotel for four nights. This allows for weather transportation delays. Here a a couple exterior photos of TheWit I made last year.




Tuesday, February 25, I board Amtrak's California Zephyr (see photo top of this page) at Chicago's Union Station for the three day, two night trip through Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, Nevada and California to Emeryville, CA(San Francisco). While traveling on the Zephyr I will also pass through Denver, Salt Lake City, Reno and Sacramento as well as the Colorado Rocky Mountains and Sierra Nevada Mountains.

After arrival in Emeryville I will stay for five nights in one of my favorite hotels the Hyatt House right across the rail tracks from the Emeryville Amtrak Station. Here is photo of the Hyatt House.



While in Emeryville, I plan to travel on the California Corridor trains to San Jose and Sacramento to visit the Old Spaghetti Factory and Old Sacramento and California Railroad Museum. San Francisco is just a quick BART(Bay Area Rapid Transit) train or Ferry ride across the Bay.

Tuesday, March 3, I will re-board Amtrak's California Zephyr for the Eastbound three day trip back to Chicago and two nights at TheWit Hotel before flying home to Nashville Saturday, March 7. 

While I will still take photos on my trip, I am planning to relax and just enjoy the ride mostly while on the train since I have taken lots of photos on all my previous rides on this great train. I still plan to take a IPhone photo and send you a short blog post most days. While in Chicago and Emeryville I will do short posts most days using digital camera photos. Thanks for traveling with me.


Still Enjoying Football Victories of LSU's and the Tennessee Titans in 2019

Fall 2019 was for me one of those once in many years very happy football seasons for two of my favorite teams - LSU(Louisiana State University) won 15 games with zero losses to win the National College Football Championship and Nashville's Tennessee Titans made the NFL Playoffs as the six seeded wild card team and defeated both New England and Baltimore and played in the AFC Championship game vs Kansas City. Kansas City did win the game and then went on to win the Superbowl.  Here are a few of my memory photos honoring both teams.








Travel Plans for 2020

I've planned two more trips in first half of 2020April 16-30 I be riding Amtrak's Texas Eagle/Sunset Limited/Coast Starlight from Chicago to Emeryville via St. Louis, Dallas/Fort Worth, TX, San Antonio, TX, El Paso, TX, Tucson, AZ, and Los Angeles. After a few days in the Bay Area, CA, I will ride Amtrak's California Zephyr back to Chicago. I will fly Southwest Airlines from Nashville, TN, to and from Chicago.

May 12-19 I will fly home to Shreveport, Louisiana, via American Airlines. While there I will be attending my friend Macy's high school graduation and also visiting with my Louisiana family. Will return home from Shreveport to Nashville via American Airlines.

No plans at this time for the last half of 2020. I do know that this being my 79th year, my travels are slowing down.

"Turn Your eyes upon Jesus, Look full in His wonderful face and the things of Earth will grow strangely dim in the light of His glory and grace."