Monday, February 24, 2020

Amtrak 2020 Winter Trip - Last Day in Chicago February 24

Water Tower Mall Wall Mural


Last Day in Chicago - February 24

After three sunny enjoyable days in Chicago, my last full day started out cloudy and has already developed in to light rain and tonight the snow will began after dark and further develop into accumulating snow Tuesday and Wednesday. They are expecting around 5 inches. Luckily for me, I head to Chicago's Union Station Tuesday morning for my afternoon departure on Amtrak's California Zephyr. 

Today's excitement was going to the Water Tower Mall next to the John Hancock Building on Michigan Avenue followed by lunch at Benihana's in the John Hancock Building. For the second time at this location, I had a table and chef all to myself. The chef was a very nice personable young man from Michigan and we had a good chat. He and others I have met each have expressed interest in my travel on Amtrak and asked questions. 

The lead photo above is a wall mural in the Water Tower Mall near the Lego Store. Below are photos in the Water Tower Mall. The first two are displays made from Lego's. Another photo features the Garrett Popcorn Shop at the mall. Garrett's is a Chicago institution with locations all over the city. I really like the Caramel Crisp.







Since my visit for lunch was the highlight of the day for me, here is a series of photos from my visit to Benihana's.












Tonight is a time of repacking for tomorrow's trip and spending a quiet restful evening in my room - best place to be based on tonight's expected wet weather. 

For the next few days while riding on the Zephyr train, I will take one or two IPhone photos and post a short update blog from my phone.  Below is the only photo I've taken with my new IPhone 11 so I'm looking forward to taking more and sharing with you in the next few days.

IPhone Photo of the Chicago River at Night from my room