Wednesday, September 18, 2019

Glacier National Park September 2019 - A Day Inside Glacier National Park

Wild Goose Island in St. Mary's Lake

A Day Inside Glacier National Park 

Did you know that the original owners of the land in Glacier National Park was the Blackfeet Indian Nation? Today I had the honor of seeing Glacier National Park through the eyes of a native full blood Blackfeet Indian young man Virgil. We traveled into the Park on the east entrance near St. Mary's and traveled the "Going to the Sun Road" to Logan's Pass and returned. The road west was closed for construction so we did not get to go into the West Glacier area. But the scenes along the road included St. Mary's Lake, Wild Goose Island, Jackson Glacier, many mountains and streams, and we arrived at the Continental Divide at Logan's Pass. What a good day it was.

At the St Mary's visitor center was a very good exhibit about the Blackfeet Indians original occupancy of Montana and neighboring States before the "immigrant" white man came in and tricked the Blackfeet Indians to sign a treaty deeding Glacier National Park to USA for $1.5 million. The Blackfeet believe that the Park is on Blackfeet territory and along with the American and Canadian Flag is flown the Blackfeet Nation Flag at the Visitor Center. The flag photo below is the Blackfeet flag.

I took over 150 photos that will be in my photo galleries for this trip. I took a while but I selected 19 photos to include in this update. Enjoy, and remember you can click on the photos to see the full size photo. 
















Blackfeet Indian Nation Flag


Virgil, my Sun Tours Blackfeet Indian Guide

Believe it or not, Glacier National Park is in "close down" mode for the Winter off season. My Glacier Park Lodge is closing for the year this Monday, September 23. The famous Red Bus tours have already closed down as has Many Glacier Lodge and Sun Tours last tour this year is Friday. For all these reasons, I will be hanging around the Glacier Park Lodge tomorrow. I leave Friday morning on the 9:45 AM Amtrak Empire Builder to Chicago scheduled to arrive 3:55 PM Saturday if on time. 

I still plan to do an update blog tomorrow. You never know what I will do on an unplanned day. As my friend Charlie now living in Costa Rica says "PURA VIDA!"