Tuesday, September 17, 2019

Glacier National Park September 2019 - Empire Builder to Glacier National Park

Glacier National Park View from Glacier Park Lodge

Amtrak's Empire Builder to Glacier National Park

I've made it to Glacier Park Lodge in Glacier National Park. Left Seattle Monday afternoon on Amtrak's Empire Builder traveling overnight arriving at Glacier Park Lodge this Tuesday morning. I've checked into the Lodge this afternoon and received a Historal tour of the lodge prior to registering and getting my room. The guy in one of the photos below led the historical tour and in addition he picked those of us arriving on the train, shuttled us to the Lodge and brought my luggage up stairs to my room overlooking the large reception hall with lots of lounging areas. My room also overlooks the park mountains. There are no elevators and the lodge was built in 1913 by the Great Northern Railway. No TV's but we do have WiFi in all the rooms.

Tomorrow is my day to tour the National Park with a tour run by the Blackfeet Indians. The Lodge is actually on Blackfeet property and the Park entrance is three miles north of the Lodge. Temperatures are topping out around 54 degrees Fahrenheit while I am in the area with lows in 40's. It was overcast when I arrived but sun is shining now. 

The photos today are from the Empire Builder and around the Glacier Park Lodge. I will get out into the Park including Going to the Sun road tomorrow.




















I plan to walk out to photograph the Amtrak Station and see the Empire Builder from Chicago arrive later. Scheduled to arrive 6:41 PM. 

I am planning to post another update tomorrow night with a few selected photos from my visit inside the park.