Sunday, February 1, 2015

Amtrak's California Zephyr January 2015 - Emeryville, CA, through Sierra Nevada's to Reno, NV

Reagan in Roomette 003 Car 631 on California Zephyr



California Zephyr Journey Begins - Early morning Thursday, January 22, I "literally" crossed over the tracks from the Hyall House Hotel to greet the arrival of the California Zephyr into the Emeryville Station and then board my Sleeper Car 631 to settle into my Roomette 003, my home for the next three days.

My Train California Zephyr Entering the Emeryville Station

My purpose for traveling on the California Zephyr in January was to see snow in Sierra Nevada's and Rocky Mountains and hopefully much of the journey through Nevada, Utah, and Colorado.  Well, the weather forecast all across the country was for bright sunny mild days and that is indeed what I got.  So when I got to get off and stretch my legs at the various station stops along the way, it was pleasant and mild.  Knowing this weather fact as I departed, I was a little concerned that there would be no or not much snow to travel through.

Thursday's journey took me from the foggy Bay area inland to Sacramento for our first fresh air station stop.  As we began our ascent into the Sierra Nevada's there was some snow cover remaining from earlier snowfalls especially as we approached Truckee, CA.  After Truckee and into the lower elevations the snow disappeared.  Our last fresh air station stop Thursday was Reno, NV, about 4 PM.  The California Zephyr was on time or actually ahead of time arriving at all stations.  This "ahead of schedule" arrival continued all the way to Chicago.  After departing Reno we headed into nighttime through Nevada and Utah passing through Salt Lake City about 2 AM.  I was comfortably sound asleep as we traveled through the night.  

Here are a couple photos.  One of snow and another of sunset in Nevada.  You can see these and all the photos in this photo gallery.  Just click this link.


The Zephyr traveling through Sierra Nevada's
Sunset in Northern Nevada


You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. Also click on the  highlighted gallery title above to open this photo gallery.


************************************

EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS --  CLICK HERE
to sign up for email updates 
each time I add a new blog post to Reagan's Travel  and Photo Galleries Update Blog.