Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Amtrak's California Zephyr January 2015 - Glenwood Springs, CO, through Fraser, Winter Park, Moffatt Tunnel to Denver, CO

Snowy Rocky Mountains January 2015




Dashing Through The Snow - Finally, Friday(Jan 23) the California Zephyr traveled through Snow.  Leaving Glenwood Springs, CO, we traveled through Glenwood Canyon.  Across the Colorado River we followed Interstate Highway I-70 for many miles.  I-70 through Glenwood Canyon was one of the last stretches of the original Eisenhower Interstate Highway system completed in 1992 and also one of the most expensive.  My personal interest in the beauty of this highway and how it blends in environmentally stems from my early career 1965 to 1980 working as an auditor for the Federal Highway Administration during the building of the Interstate Highway System.  Here are some of the several photos of this engineering marvel in the beginning of this gallery.

I-70 Through Glenwood Canyon
I-70 Through Glenwood Canyon


I-70 Through Glenwood Canyon


I-70 Through Glenwood Canyon
I-70 Through Glenwood Canyon

As the Zephyr was leaving the Glenwood Canyon area, we had the perfect opportunity to capture photos of the westward bound Zephyr as we pulled off into a side tract and waited for the west bound Zephyr to pass.

Meeting The West Bound Zephyr 

After the west bound Zephyr passed us by, our east bound Zephyr backed back on to the mainline track and continued our journey into the Winter Wonderland of the Colorado Rocky Mountains.  I finally got to see the abundant snow cover for which I planned this Winter ride.  The Zephyr's journey through Granby, Fraser and Winter Park to the Moffatt Tunnel was this photographers dream come true.  There are many many photos of this snow covered wonderland in this photo gallery.  Enjoy taking your time to view them.

My favorite assistant conductor 

Colorado Rocky Mountain Snow

Colorado Rocky Mountain Snow

The Zephyr cruised into Denver's new Union Station a little before 6 PM to provide over an hour to get outside, walk, and check out the new terminal.  Not long after departing Denver, I had my sleeping car attendant Tony set my roomette for sleeping and was fast asleep as we passed through Nebraska and Western Iowa.  I awoke Saturday(Jan 24) morning in Creston, Iowa.  My next blog post and photo gallery will cover the Zephyr's travel through Iowa and Illinois and our arrival in Chicago.  For now enjoy the 250+ photos in today's gallery.





You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. Also click on the  highlighted gallery title above to open this photo gallery. Also, click on the "blog title" at the top to view this blog on the web.

All my photos are available to view on Reagan's Photo Galleries website.

************************************

EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS --  CLICK HERE to sign up your email 

to receive each new blog post to Reagan's Travel  and Photo Galleries Update Blog.