Saturday, September 4, 2021

2021 Amtrak Trip - Chicago - Amtrak Empire Builder - Seattle -- Let's Start in Chicago

 

View of Chicago River from my Sheraton Grand Room

Let's Start in Chicago

After 17 months staying a home in Nashville/Franklin, TN, I am taking my first long vacation trip traveling Amtrak's Empire Builder Chicago to Seattle, Washington, both westbound and eastbound. I started my trip one day earlier than planned due to Hurricane Ida bringing rain and winds to Middle Tennessee Monday night August 30 through Tuesday, the day I originally planned to fly to Chicago.  I have spent an enjoyable few days here in Chicago with great weather mostly rain free with temps in 70's.  Highlights of my stay have been enjoying the great Sheraton Grand Hotel right on the Chicago River, lots of walking, visiting Navy Pier and the Field Museum, and an afternoon of rail riding and rail fanning in Glenview, IL. Tomorrow my westbound Empire Builder trips begins with destination Seattle, Washington.

Enjoy these select photos documenting my stay here in Chicago. Instead of daily updates I have chosen to just post updates from Chicago and after my Empire Builder rides and after my stay in Seattle. I have done this trip several times so I plan to just relax more and take less photos.





















I want everyone to know that I take COVID-19 seriously. I was vaccinated in January and February with the Pfizer vaccine and have faithfully worn my masks everywhere except for church a month in June/July. Since the majority of my church chooses to not wear masks as the Delta Variant surged, I chose to return to online church two Sundays before I left on my trip. Chicago is under an indoor mask mandate and when on any public transportation including Amtrak trains and stations masks are required whether vaccinated or not. Even in my hotel masks are required. I feel very safe.

Friends, if you are not vaccinated I strongly encourage you to get vaccinated. There is no excuse nor medical reason you should not. Mask up to keep Reagan safe.


Look for my next update after I arrive in Seattle.