Friday, October 6, 2017

October 5 - A New Amtrak Adventure

In Station at Kansas City MO

Traveled on Amtrak's Southwest Chief Chicago through Kansas City to Albuquerque. My new adventure on Amtrak today was when my train stopped in Las Vegas, NM, and we were informed that lots of heavy rain for several days had washed out a section of track between Las Vegas and Lamy, NM. The freight railroad BNSF was repairing the washout and we would stay in Las Vegas until work was completed and BNSF opened the tracks to us. Incidentally, the eastbound Southwest Chief was held in Lamy. After about 4 hours we were released to continue on arriving in Albuquerque 8:30 PM Mountain Time. My friend Tom A. was there to pick me up and delivered me to the Hyatt Regency Albuquerque.  

The photo above was taken in Kansas City Wednesday night in station. The Chief is on the left and the Missouri River Runner train to St. Louis was parked on the right in the photo. 

The photos below were taken as we enjoyed the afternoon hanging out in Las Vegas, NM, with the last photo being as close as a sunset photo I could get today. 








Tomorrow, Friday, I be riding the local commuter train the RailRunner to Santa Fe, NM, for the day on my own.  On the way back I will get off at a local stop were the Anderson's will meet me and take me to their apartment for a home cooked meal. Saturday will be my first visit to the Balloon Fiesta with Tom.