Monday, March 28, 2016

Spring 2016 Amtrak Rail Adventure - Free Day in New Orleans March 28

Natchez Steamboat on which I cruised today

Free Day in New Orleans - Steamboat Natchez

With no definite plans as I left my room around 10 AM for a walk along the Mississippi Riverfront stopping first at the Audubon Aquarium.  Since the aquarium just opened at 10 and there was a long line to purchase tickets, I continued walking along the riverfront and ended up at the Steamboat Natchez. Decided on the spot to board and take the lunch time cruise - very enjoyable. After returning to the dock, I headed into the French Quarter to my sisters' and my favorite praline shop. Purchased some of both - original and chewy - and had them shipped to my sisters in Benton, LA.  And, of course, I purchase one box of chewy for myself to take with me on the train tomorrow.  After purchasing the pralines, I walked to Royal Street and walked Royal Street back to Canal Street - New Orleans' main street on which the streetcars run.  By then I was a very tired "old" man so I found a Pinkberry soft frozen yogurt shop and took a rest while I ate my frozen yogurt.  I still have time but so far I have not had coffee and beignets nor ridden the streetcars.  Maybe get beignets in the morning from the Riverwalk Outlets Mall.  I've not been there this trip either and it's actually connected to my hotel.

Tomorrow is the beginning of my Amtrak adventure.  The City of New Orleans leaves at 1:45 PM bound for an overnight trip to Chicago's Union Station arriving around 9 AM Wednesday morning.  After a five hour wait, the Empire Builder with depart Chicago 2:15 PM for a two night trip to Seattle arriving Friday morning about 10:30 AM.  I'll try to send a couple IPhone updates while I am on board the trains.  

Here are a few photos from today.

Carnival's Elation cruises past my window as I woke up this morning

Steamboat Natchez on which I cruised today

Me 'Reagan" on board the Steamboat Natchez

St Louis Cathedral at Jackson Square

Interesting "you are beautiful" caption on a building we cruise by

Domino Sugar Factory along the Mississippi River in New Orleans

On board the Steamboat Natchez

U.S. Navy facilities on the Mississippi River

New Orleans Skyline from Steamboat Natchez

Carnival's Elation Cruise Ship

American Queen Riverboat 

My favorite Praline Shop in New Orleans "Creole Delicacies"

My favorite Praline Shop in New Orleans "Creole Delicacies"

Steet Musicians on Royal Street in New Orleans

Royal Street in New Orleans

The Latest In Police Vehicles for New Orleans Police Department

Thanks for following along with me as I travel via this travel blog.  Look for short blog IPhone photos for the next three days.  My next laptop update should be from Seattle Friday evening.


My Next 2016 TRAVEL PLANS

Via Rail and Amtrak Trip to Canada and Albany, NY, May 28 to June 15 - Traveling by Via Rail in Canada to Toronto, Montreal and Halifax, Nova Scotia.  Returning to USA via Amtrak for visits to Albany, NY and New Orleans, LA.


Yep, that's all I have officially planned for this calendar year.  Other trips will surely be planned including trips home to Louisiana to visit family.



You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. Also, click on the "blog title" at the very top of email to view this blog on the web.

All my photos are available to view on Reagan's Photo Galleries website.


************************************

EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS --  CLICK HERE to sign up your email
to receive each new blog post to in your email inbox.