Friday, June 14, 2019

Amtrak's Cardinal and Michigan Trip - Surprise Update from Washington DC June 14

Lunch with Amtrak friend John

Surprise Update from Washington, DC, June 14

I know I promised another update tomorrow night June 15 but today had two special events so here is tonight's update. 

First special event was eating lunch with one of my blog subscribers who just happens to be a retiree from Amtrak's headquarters here in DC. My blog now has 97 subscribers and several of them are fellow Amtrak fans whom I have never met. John is one of those subscribers and until he contacted me a few days ago I was not really aware of who he was. He sent me an email suggesting we get together for lunch while I was in DC. He did tell me he had retired from Amtrak about 3 years ago. So I accepted and he picked me up and we had a good time conversing about my Amtrak adventures. That is John in the lead photo above with me. He brought another Amtrak retiree who took the photo for me.

Second special event and really was not planned was a three hour boat ride instead of a planned two hour boat ride.experience. The boat crew told me I did not have to get off the boat when I got to Alexandria since it would return back to The Wharf Waterfront in DC. Well this boat did not return immediately to The Wharf but instead continued on down the Potomac River to the National Harbor adding another hour to my two hour boat ride. Yes, we returned back to the Wharf after making a second stop in Alexandria. So I should have gotten off in Alexandria and taken the next boat that would return to The Wharf in DC. Why do I know that? Well, because the next boat back to DC was waiting for us as we left Alexandria going to National Harbor so that they could pull into the dock to load. And the return ticket's time matched that boat time arriving at the Alexandria dock.

Since that 3 hour boat ride took up the rest of my afternoon, I plan to return to the Old Town Trolley Hop On Hop Off tour tomorrow for a day time visit to the Lincoln Memorial, other nearby memorial areas, and then across the Potomac River to Arlington Cemetery. I will do another update tomorrow night before leaving Sunday morning for my overnight train ride on Amtrak's Cardinal to Chicago. I do an update on the train ride Monday or Tuesday from Chicago.

Here are a few of the photos I took on the way to The Wharf and on my three hour boat ride. 















Thanks for traveling with me via my blog.