Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Amtrak 2019 Winter Snow Trip Seattle February 18-20

Seattle's King Street Station 

A Couple Days in Seattle

An interesting first two days of my Amtrak 2019 Winter Snow Trip. I left home in Nashville flying Alaska Airlines' nonstop flight Nashville to Seattle departing on time and arriving just a few minutes ahead of schedule. The travel weather is great and no expected weather delays or problems. After a nice cold walk from my hotel to the Seattle waterfront, I returned to my hotel to get a phone call plus an email from Amtrak about a service disruption not caused by weather. It was caused by a motorist driving his pickup truck around other cars and the RR Crossing bars onto the tracks in front of Amtrak's westbound Empire Builder leaving Chicago yesterday in the Milwaukee, Wisconsin area. The Empire Builder engines nor passengers or crew were hurt but the driver did not survive. That westbound Empire Builder was to arrive tomorrow and be my eastbound Empire Builder but they were held for 5 hours in Wisconsin at the accident site before allowing to continue with a new crew. All day today it has been running about 6.5 hours late. It's 6 hours 15 minutes late tonight at Havre, Montana at 10:40 PM Mountain Time. So Amtrak's calls and emails were to inform me their plans are to turn the train from westbound to eastbound in Spokane, WA, and that I will be bused from Seattle's King Street Station to Spokane. It would not be a bad trip in the daytime but we will not depart until the regular departure time 5 PM and trip should take about 6 hours in nightime. Regular departure time from Spokane is 1:15 AM. It will still be a great train ride from Spokane to Chicago still going through Idaho, Montana and the Glacier National Park, Wyoming, North Dakota, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. 

Now for today's more happy inducing activity, I did a good long walk from my hotel through the Pioneer Square area to the waterfront and along the board walk for a good long walk. On the way back I stopped for Fish and Chips at Ivar's Fish Restaurant. After eating all my fish and some chips, I went outside and fed the rest of my chips(fries) to the sea gulls which is highly encouraged by the restaurant.

So all in all, everything was fun and all is well. I will just look at the bus ride as a new adventure. Here are some photos from my walk today.













You can click on the photos to see a full size picture.

Since I was able to use my laptop, these photos are from my Canon camera. While I will not do an update tomorrow, I will try to post a Iphone phone update from the train while traveling Thursday and then Friday or Saturday I will post some camera photos from the train trip while I am in Chicago.