Sunday, February 18, 2018

Winter Rail Trip - February 13-18, 2018 - Via Rail CANADIAN - Toronto

Meeting Via Rail CANADIAN Train 1 in Canadian Rockies

Via Rail CANADIAN and Toronto

One hundred hours on a train. That is how long I was on Via Rail's CANADIAN train #2 traveling from Vancouver Tuesday 8:30 PM PST to Toronto Saturday 11 PM EST which included a 14 hour delay.  I have to admit it was just a little too long to stay on a train. Unlike Amtrak trains, Via Rail does not receive the cooperation of the Canadian freight railroads so the passenger train yields to the all too long freight trains. During my trip, the major delays were between Saskatoon and Winnipeg. My train was held for two hours in Saskatoon, five hours in Melville, and another two hours about 40 miles before Winnipeg while we waited for multiple freight trains to pass while we were parked in station. Nevertheless, I enjoyed my journey and the companionship of my fellow travelers on board in the dome car and at meals in the dining car. Also read a couple of books. And the on board Via Rail staff were very friendly and accommodating. The food in the dining car was good but not better than Amtrak. Unlike what some have said, most of the food was pre-prepared and simply reheated to serve on the train. I discovered this when I asked if food could be could more to order than "bloody". Was informed they had to serve it as they received it. Still I really enjoyed especially the soup served at every meal plus the pulled pork barbecue served for lunch one day and again as the "left over" late arrival dinner. Both lunch and dinner on the last day Saturday were extra meals and free to coach as well as sleeper passengers.  

In Toronto, I am at the Intercontinental Hotel within walking distance to both the Union Station where I arrived last night and the UP Express train to Toronto's Pearson International Airport for Monday's flights home to Nashville. Temperature is a pleasant mid 30's with some sunshine so I walked to the Old Spaghetti Factory for lunch. There is an auto show going on downtown Toronto so sidewalks are packed and traffic is backed up as all the cars seek parking. Just may hang out in my room the rest of today.

Here are just a few of the photos covering my trip. Many like seeing photos of the train so that is what I am trying to share in these few photos. I'll save the scenic photos for my photo galleries. This blog update completes my travel posts for this trip. After I arrive home, I spend a few days or weeks to clean up, organize and post the full photo galleries for my Winter Rail Trip 3018. I'll then post a trip wrap up blog to let you know photos are ready for you to view. 



Check in to trains in Vancouver, BC, Canada

My bed in my sleeping compartment on the CANADIAN

Somewhere in the Canadian Rockies

Riding in the Dome at the end of the train is fun

Lorne Manor was my sleeping car

CANADIAN Winter Consist is short

Just one of many feight trains we waited for to pass 

Hanging out in my sleeper room

Winnipeg was mid point of the journey

Lots of snow

Getting close to Toronto. Last fresh air stop in Capreol Ontario Canada

The snow never ended

Lots of solar panels. 

Finally in Toronto - My view from Intercontinental Hotel

Yep, that's the CN Tower just outside my window
  



You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. 


All my photos are available to view on Reagan's Photo Galleries website.