Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Amtrak Winter Adventure January 2017 - January 24 - Chicago

Chicago Theater 

Chicago, Amtrak, and Giordano's Pizza

A good day in Chicago. No snow or rain, but cold and cloudy-just like the Nashville I left yesterday. Up early again and rode the elevated(EL) train around the loop to Union Station and an Amtrak train ride on the Hiawatha to Milwaukee and back. Back in Chicago I went to Giordano's for their famous deep dish pizza for lunch and then took the EL train back to THE WIT hotel for an afternoon of relaxation. For dinner tonight I walked a couple blocks south on State Street to a Latin Food Hall and had fish and chips.  

I'm excited to begin my trip on Amtrak's California Zephyr tomorrow afternoon. Looking forward to seeing record snowfall in both the Colorado Rockies and the California Sierra Nevadas. Good news regarding the Zephyr's going over the Sierra Nevada Mountains - for the first time in over a week today's westbound Zephyr did not have to wait in Reno for clearance to proceed so that train is arriving Emeryville only 3 hours 23 minutes late so around 7:30 PM. Since my Hyatt House Hotel is just across the rail tracks from the Emeryville station that would be a great time for me to arrive even around 10 PM would be okay--just not 5 or 6 AM the next morning like some of the Zephyr's have arrived this week.  Like I said in the last update, I am just going to "hang loose" and enjoy whatever happens.

The feature photo above of the Chicago Theater marquee is one of the most familiar Chicago landmarks. The tall building just past the theater is my hotel THE WIT. This is a great location. Incidentally, Nashville's Martina McBride is listed on the marquee as a soon to be concert artist performing at the theater.

No nightly updates while I am on the train the next few days. I'll send a couple short Iphone updates and plan to send another "from the hotel" update Friday night unless my train encounters problems getting through the "snow" and we are delayed into the late night getting to Emeryville. Either way, I'll keep you updated.

****
You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. 

All my photos are available to view on Reagan's Photo Galleries website.


************************************


EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS --  CLICK HERE to sign up your email
to receive each new blog post to in your email inbox.