Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Amtrak Vacation June 2018 - World War II Museum June 6

Victory Belles Singing 1940's Songs
World War II Museum 

Visited the World War II Museum in New Orleans today. Significantly today is the 74th Anniversary of D-Day and the 18th Anniversary of the opening the World War II Museum. As a result, I not only got a thirty minute performance by the Victory Belles singing 1940's music but also a D-Day Commemorative Ceremony honoring four World War II veterans presented medals by a French dignitary. I really enjoyed the Victory Belles and enjoyed the Commemorative Ceremony also.

If you have not been to the museum, I recommend delaying your visit for a while as the museum is under major construction with almost all of the plaza which the buildings surround closed due to construction. For now you have to exit the museum, cross a street, walk a block and enter some of the museum buildings from the back entrance since the front entrances are closed due to the construction activity.

I walked from my hotel to the museum which was only about 20 minute walk for me.

Not a problem, but I seem to enjoy taking nap in the late afternoon which is what I plan to do after I finish this update. 

Only one day Thursday remains from my New Orleans stay before Amtrak's Crescent Friday morning departing 7 AM for the two day trip to New York City. Scheduled arrival in NYC is mid afternoon Saturday but subject to delay normally about 2 hours but can be longer. Thursday is "no plan" day so no blog update tomorrow. I will possibly do a one photo from on board the train blog update via IPhone Friday afternoon followed by a full update on the train ride Saturday after I get to New York City. 

My New York City activities are dependent on my friends Tevy, Scott, and Julie's plans for me. I do know that Julie has help me get tickets to see DEAR EVAN HANSEN Tuesday night at the theater she works at. Tevy is part of my Tennessee adopted family Russ and Margo Bradley.

Here are a few of the photos I took visiting the museum today.

 
Louisiana Museum of the World War II Museum

Inside the Louisiana Museum Building


Attended the D-Day Commemorative Ceremony

State of Louisiana Flag - the Pelican State
Next update Friday from aboard Amtrak's Crescent.