Monday, October 3, 2016

Fall 2016 Amtrak California Zephyr Adventure Monday, October 3 - Chicago and Amtrak's Hiawatha

Chicago Theater on State Street and Wit Hotel Just Beyond

Arriving Chicago and Riding Amtrak's Hiawatha

Was up early this morning 3:30 am in Nashville and headed to Nashville International to catch a 7:36 am American Airlines flight to Chicago O'Hare. Everything operated smoothly and I was at The Wit Hotel in Chicago by just after 10 am and my room was ready for occupancy. Just as soon as I was settled in I took the Elevated Loop train to near Amtrak's Union Station. I changed my Hiawatha reservation from 3 pm to 1 pm.  Enjoyed the 1 and 1/2 hour train ride to Milwaukee and got right back on and was back in Chicago by 4:30 pm,  By the way, the Hiawatha is a 6 coach car train with engines at both ends so that the trip to and from Milwaukee is "push and pull".  

After getting back to Union Station I decided to walk back to my hotel and enjoyed the walk. The first part of my walk was pretty hectic facing the "mob' race walking to the station to catch Metra commuter trains. Ate dinner at The Noodle Shop on Michigan Avenue.

Below are photos taken on my train ride and of The Wit Hotel including the view from my sixteenth floor room of Chicago River and State Street North.

Amtrak's Hiawatha arriving Chicago

Me, Reagan, on board the Hiawatha

View from the Hiawatha in Milwaukee

Hiawatha in station in Milwaukee
 ca
And now Hiawatha back in Chicago

Entrance to The Wit Hotel on State Street

View from my room at The Wit of Chicago River and State Street
That's it for today.  Hope to get to bed early.  Getting up at 5 am tomorrow Tuesday to take the 7:35 am Amtrak Carl Sandburg to Galesburg to visit with my friend Maury and the Galesburg Railroad Museum.  Should arrive near scheduled time 10:08 am and will stay a couple hours or more if my train Amtrak's Southwest Chief is running late.  It's scheduled for 12:08 pm but it originates in Los Angeles two nights earlier.  



You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. 

All my photos are available to view on Reagan's Photo Galleries website.


************************************


EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS --  CLICK HERE to sign up your email
to receive each new blog post to in your email inbo