Thursday, June 14, 2018

Amtrak Vacation June 2018 - Two Trains New York City to Chicago June 13-14

Amtrak's Capitol Limited Arrived Chicago

Two Amtrak Trains New York City to Chicago - June 13-14

After 4 days in New York City with great friends and hosts, I boarded Amtrak's Acela Train for three hour trip NYC to Washington, DC. From DC I traveled overnight on Amtrak's Capitol Limited to Chicago where I arrived at 11:30 this morning. The Acela was right on time but the Capitol Limited was subjected as was the Crescent last week to slow and many freight trains but we still arrived only 2+ hours down. Not done much today except take a walk to a favorite Chicago Hot Dog place just across the river a few blocks from my hotel.  

Tomorrow I return to Chicago's Union Station for my three day two night trip on Amtrak's Empire Builder to Seattle, Washington. As it turns out, the Empire Builder will be my last train ride this trip. Due to a tunnel collapse in remote Oregon, the Coast Starlight trip has been cancelled at least until June 25. No train is running from Seattle to Sacramento and the Coast Starlight will only run between Sacramento and Los Angeles with only coach cars. Me, I am now booked on Alaska Airlines for a non stop flight Seattle to Los Angeles next Thursday where I'll stay two nights at the Hyatt Regency at the LAX airport awaiting my Saturday non stop American flight to Nashville.

I decided to focus my photos today on my train rides with only one scenic photo of Harper's Ferry, West Virginia. So here they are.

On the Acela
Inside the Acela First Class Coach

Relaxing on the Capitol Limited

Entering Harper's Ferry

Capitol Limited Dining Car

Only Fresh Air Break was at Toledo, OH

Only Fresh Air Break was at Toledo, OH

Eating Breakfast in Dining Car
I have now left two caps on trains as I departed.
Yes, that blue Titans cap is now departed from me.

View of Chicago River from THE WIT HOTEL

Looking forward to the next three days on Amtrak's Empire Builder and then the four days in Seattle. Next Tuesday I will be doing a one day tour to Mt. Rainier.
I will do my next laptop blog update Sunday evening. Will possibly send IPhone blog update Saturday.