Thursday, February 8, 2018

Winter Rail Trip - February 5-7, 2018 - Amtrak's California Zephyr

Amtrak's California Zephyr in the Sierras of California

California Zephyr - Chicago, Denver, Reno, and Emeryville, CA

Three days and two nights traveling from Chicago crossing the States of Illinois, Iowa, Nebraska, Colorado, Utah, and Nevada to California across the Bay from San Francisco.  I began the trip on another cold snowy morning in Chicago. First thing I had to do was make an emergency trip to Walgreen's Pharmacy in Chicago to get a box of Lantus Solostar Insulin Pens after I discovered I had left the extra pens I brought with me in Washington, DC. Many thanks to my Dr. David A. for phoning the emergency prescription to the pharmacy in Chicago. With the medical emergency resolved I spent time at Chicago's Union Station in the Metropolitan Lounge for sleeping car passengers. We boarded the Zephyr on time and the full journey was good rail traveling and on time all the way to Emeryville. Traveling this time of year, the load of passengers was light so we had excellent care from the on board service crew including my sleeping car attendant Mary. 

Surprisingly, the heaviest snowfall was in Illinois and Iowa with white out conditions. The Winter Park area of Colorado had good snow but after that the snow was scarce and sunshine abundant. In fact, it was 73 degrees when I arrived here in Emeryville. 

The internet connection at the Hyatt House Hotel in Emeryville is drastically slow and inadequate. For that reason, I am loading a good sampling of photos covering my ride on the Zephyr in this update. I'll not try to do another update until I arrive in Seattle. Since I arrive if on time after 7:30 PM Sunday evening, I will do another update post on Monday covering my ride on the Coast Starlight from Emeryville to Seattle. I really don't know what if any posts I can do while traveling five days Tuesday to Saturday with possible delay until Sunday arriving in Toronto. I can attempt to do mini IPhone updates and send through cellular signal where available in Canada. Between the cities, I understand there is little if no cellular service. If I arrive in Toronto on Saturday as scheduled, I do an update on the Canadian Sunday, February 18. I am schedule to fly home to Nashville Monday, February 19.

Here are 52 photos I took while traveling on the Zephyr in the sequence I took them as I traveled from Chicago to Emeryville. Many more will be updated to my photo galleries. Enjoy!























































You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. 


All my photos are available to view on Reagan's Photo Galleries website.