Tuesday, December 6, 2016

Amtrak Fall Coast to Coast Adventure - Amtrak's California Zephyr Eastbound Dec 2-5

'
The Engine That Could Not

The return journey on the eastbound Amtrak California Zephyr really was quiet pleasant and enjoyable.  My cough and nasal congestion began to get better.  I did call Dr. Allen's office and the nurse prescribed an antibiotic which I was able to pick up at a CVS pharmacy here.  Thankful for the CVS pharmacist who suggested and offered to call my local Rite Aide pharmacist and get the prescription transferred which she did.  I was not even aware that was possible so very much appreciate her doing that.  

The reference under the photo above about the "engine that could not" refers to the fact that this lead engine 190 had mechanical problem on my westbound trip and on this eastbound trip made it just pass Denver before breaking down again and was removed from the consist leaving the followup engine number 6 to pull the train the rest of the way from Colorado to Chicago. Engine 190 had broken down in Utah on our westbound trip. We sat for 3 hours while the situation was handled.  Yes, we arrived 3+ hours late into Chicago at 5:15 pm.  Good thing was that I am most passengers slept through the experience. Sleeping on a standing still train was restful and good after four previous night sleeping on a moving train.

One of my favorite things about traveling is meeting new friends from all of the world. Most of you know that I have a heart for working with and encouraging young people which I did for over 30 years working with 5th graders and 10th graders. So I really enjoyed meeting a fellow sleeping car mate a 21 year old student from Aidelaide, Australia on the westbound Zephyr taking 10 day holiday in the USA on his own. We chatted some, ate several meals together in the dining car and enjoyed each other's company.  He's in some of the photos below.

Below are photos from this westbound trip.

Christmas at the Emeryville Amtrak Station

Boarding in Emeryville, CA

Notice Two Engines pulling us across Colorado








At Denver Union Station

At Denver Union Station


Notice only one engine now pulling us across the Mississippi River at Burlington IO

Snow in Illinois

Back in Galesburg, IL 3 hours late 

I am now safely enjoying a room in a brand new Hampton Inn in Chicago near Union Station where I will return tomorrow to take the 6:40 pm Capitol Limited train overnight to Washington, DC, and then fly home to Nashville Thursday afternoon.