Monday, November 28, 2016

Fall Amtrak Coast to Coast Adventure - November 28 - Arrived Washington, DC

View from my hotel room overlooking Union Station and Capitol 

Fall Amtrak Coast to Coast Adventure - November 28

I flew from Nashville to Washington, DC, today and checked into the Hilton Garden Inn - US Capitol.  The photo above was taken from my room after sunset but you should be able to see the trains near Union Station and the Capitol dome near top right.  I checked into my hotel at 3 PM and had time to make a quick subway ride one stop away to Union Station to familiarize myself with location of all the Amtrak facilities. Union Station is a large indoor shopping and food court a.rea.  

Today was cloudy and gloomy everywhere I traveled and rain is expected here in DC tomorrow.  My day will begin early as I will ride a regional Amtrak train from DC to Wilmington, DE, and then return on an Acela Express high speed train.  Should be back in DC around 1:30 PM. After a couple hours back in DC, I'll board the Capitol Limited train to begin my coast to coast four day three night trip through Pittsburgh, PA, Chicago, IL, Omaha, NE, Denver, CO, Winter Park, CO, Salt Lake City, UT, Reno, NV, Truckee, CA, and Sacramento, CA, to Emeryville, CA, just across the Bay from San Francisco.  Should arrive around 3 PM Pacific Time Friday.  That's when I'll send the next laptop generated update.  I do hope to post short Iphone updates while I travel on the Capitol Limited and the California Zephyr.  

While I was at the local subway stop near my hotel I got photos of an Acela Express and a Amtrak regional train departing Union Station.  Those are the photos below.

Acela Express

Same Acela Express - has engines both ends

Electric engine pulling Amtrak regional train

Same Amtrak Regional train


You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. 

All my photos are available to view on Reagan's Photo Galleries website.


************************************


EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS --  CLICK HERE to sign up your email
to receive each new blog post to in your email inbox.