Saturday, October 8, 2016

Fall 2016 Amtrak California Zephyr Adventure Saturday October 8 - California State Railroad Museum in Sacramento

Driving the last spike in the Transcontinental Railroad


Amtrak's Capitol Corridor Train to Sacramento to visit the California State Railroad Museum

Traveled on the Capitol Corridor Train from Emeryville to Sacramento to visit the California State Railroad Museum. Enjoyed the sunny warm short sleeve weather while traveling on the train and visiting the museum. The photo above is of a painting in the museum celebrating the joining of both east and west lines of the Transcontinental Railroad. The museum exhibits feature the building of the railroad across the Sierras. The museum also has rail equipment from several decades including a prototype of trains similar to the Acela trains in the Northeast. After visiting the museum for couple hours, I found a shaved ice place in Old Sacramento and treated myself before riding the Capitol Corridor train back to Emeryville. Later I walked from the hotel to a upscale outdoor shopping mall and ate at my favorite hamburger place Fuddruckers. Now I'm back at the hotel posting this update. 

I have no plans for tomorrow and "that is good". There is a very nice coastal walk a couple blocks from my hotel so that sounds like a good walk for me sometime tomorrow. Since Emeryville is the east side of the San Francisco Bay Bridge, the walk should provide great views of San Francisco across the bay since it is sunny and clear these days I am here - no fog this visit.

Early Monday morning 8:20 am I board Amtrak's Coast Starlight for the 12+ hours journey to Los Angeles Union Station arriving around 9 pm.  From Union Station I'll take the Fly Away Bus to LAX airport and then an airport shuttle to Hilton LAX Hotel for two nights before flying home to Nashville Wednesday, October 12. I'll do my next update post during the day on Tuesday. I discovered my Iphone Blogger App has a defect that gave me lots of problems trying to do the post I did from Denver on last Thursday so I'll not try that again this trip or future travels. The problem was that when typing the blog title when I hit the "space bar" after the second word in the title, that shut down the app without saving.  So it is not worth the effort to fight the App bug.

Here are the photos of my Capitol Corridor trip to Sacramento and the museum. That's my hotel in background of one of the photos and the flowers in last photo are in front of my hotel.



















Look for my next update overnight Tuesday.




You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. 

All my photos are available to view on Reagan's Photo Galleries website.


************************************


EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS --  CLICK HERE to sign up your email
to receive each new blog post to in your email inbo