Tuesday, October 11, 2016

Fall 2016 Amtrak California Zephyr Adventure Monday-Tuesday October 10-11 Amtrak's Coast Starlight

Amtrak's Coast Starlight Arriving Emeryville, CA

Late Coast Starlight Stretches Trip to Los Angeles into Two Days

Even before I went to sleep Sunday night I was aware of a serious delay the train I would take Monday suffered in the Portland, OR, area.  A river bridge my train and four others cross was stuck in the raised position.  All the trains were delayed over 3 hours until the problem was resolved.  After leaving Portland my train then was stopped in Salem, OR, for over an hour for a medical emergency. So I went to bed knowing my train was 4 hours late but expected to make up most of that time by the time it reached Emeryville.  When I woke Monday morning I discovered the train had made up some time but then lost all the made up time while stopped in Sacramento thus instead of boarding my train at the scheduled 8:20am I boarded in Emeryville at 11:45am.  The adage that delayed trains get later applied to my trip to Los Angeles.  By the time we arrived Los Angeles Union Station early Tuesday morning at 1:05am we were back over 4 hours late.  Although the "FlyAway" bus from Union Station to LAX Airport operates 24 hours every day, the schedule drops to once an hour late night so my bus to LAX departed at 2am.  After arriving LAX and then waiting for the hotel shuttle, it was 3am when I finally checked in to my hotel and 3:35am this Tuesday morning before I finally layed down to sleep in my room.  What a day and night, but that happens sometimes and I'm enjoying a lazy day today.  My American flight to Nashville departs 8:35am Los Angeles time tomorrow morning.  Here are a few photos from my day and night on the Coast Starlight.














Those night time shots from San Luis Obispo were around 7:30pm instead of the 3pm scheduled time.  That meant that all the travel ocean side was in the dark so no photos.  If you received two email updates today or one email with two updates it is because I did both Tuesday and chose to divide the photos into two updates.

Thanks for traveling with me on this latest adventure.  I'll be home in Nashville/Franklin until Monday, November 28, and my night Amtrak adventure.  More about that later.

I took over 600 photos so after I clean them up and update my photo galleries, I'll post a trip summary update with links to all the photos.


You can click on any of the small photos in this blog to open a full size photo. 

All my photos are available to view on Reagan's Photo Galleries website.


************************************


EMAIL SUBSCRIPTIONS --  CLICK HERE to sign up your email
to receive each new blog post to in your email inbo